You've just been admitted to BYU! Welcome aboard. This is a very exciting time when you start deciding how you'll live the rest of your life. To help keep you from feeling too overwhelmed, here is a list of important things to take care of:
- First, visit Enrollment Service's New Freshman Checklist. This list contains several things you need to take care of as a new BYU student before you can begin other important processes, such as financial aid applications, etc. Complete this list as soon as you can.
- Next, apply for the FAFSA and any other financial aid and scholarships you can. Some helpful sources are the Financial Aid Checklist and BYU's Financial Aid website to help you get started.
- Make sure you follow the correct process for class registration. If you don't register correctly for a class, or if you register for the wrong classes, your graduation may be prolonged, and college could cost you more money than you originally planned.
- Find out the cost of attendance for this coming school year, and create a spending plan accordingly. Click here for 6 easy steps to follow, and use our budget calculator to help you in this process. Here are some cool apps that can help you keep it all on-hand.
- Find a bank that works for you. Make sure you take the time to discuss this decision with your parent or guardian, and do plenty of research on the bank's out-of-state policies (if you are from another state), ATM availability, overdraft policies, ATM fees, etc.
- Get creative about saving money. As you plan your monthly costs, do some research to help you make an informed decisions regarding your lifestyle and ways you can keep costs down as you attend college. Click here for helpful resources and tips for smart spending.
This list is not comprehensive, seeing as all students come from unique situations and backgrounds. It is simply meant to guide you to wisely assume responsibility for your own financial well-being as you begin your journey here at BYU. Please consult with a trusted financial professional or contact us if you have further questions or concerns.
Borrowing Principles | Budget Calculator | Career Planning | Cool Apps | Dating on a Budget | Federal Financial Aid | Financial Planning in 6 Easy Steps! | Goal Setting | Personal Finance Course | Protect Against Damage/Theft | Recreation/ Entertainment | Scholarships